Enfield mainshaft

Gearbox questions & answers etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

witworth
I'm pretty new here..

Enfield mainshaft

Post by witworth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi. Currently partway through putting a Ruggerini 150 into a 96 'home market' bullet with four speed box. I bought the longer extended mainshaft (13 1/8") from a well know supplied of Parts, but on putting the gearbox back together found that it doesnt fit the standard bearing on the rhs of the box. Im not even sure that it could be classifed as a potential interference fit. Has any one come across this problem before?? Is it just a quality control issue?

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Enfield mainshaft

Post by Stuart » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 am

Sounds like the same problem I had when I bought a replacement shaft for my 'Bullet' (Ruggerfield) & then found out it didn't fit one end.
It was Ian here who then suggested (& rightly so) that I did in fact have a gearbox from an Enfield twin & not a single! It's the Intercepteor box which has a bigger bearing at one end (I'm guess) to handle the extra load. I bought a secondhand shaft to sort my problem but you may need another box - a bullet box. Hope that helps!
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.

gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by gilburton » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:31 am

Have you asked your supplier??

witworth
I'm pretty new here..

Post by witworth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I did try contacting the supplier but they appear to have 'gone fishing'
I contacted my local machinists who confirmed that as the end is case hardened there was no way they could skim it.
So this morning I removed the end bearing, assembled the box and then managed to 'drift' the bearing over the shaft, alternately on the internal and external part of the bearing. Not exactly precision engineering, and it probably hasnt done the bearing much good but it all adds to the fun.
Once again, thanks for suggestions.

gilburton

Post by gilburton » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:45 pm

As you got the bearing on I just wondered if it was a clash between metric/imperial??

witworth
I'm pretty new here..

Post by witworth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:40 pm

I dont know enough about the origins of the shaft to say (it came from a very dark corner in enry's store and was wrapped in brown paper). The bearing is definately not metric as its out of a 96 Indian home market gearbox (thank you to Antoos Autos in Durgapur), and probably after the beating I gave it earlier today, wishes it had stayed there.

gilburton

Post by gilburton » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 pm

I was way off here lol
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.

witworth
I'm pretty new here..

Post by witworth » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks..that link gave me a shock...the advice not to be tempted to take a hammer to it...oops..but finally managed to get through to enry and it appears all is (as) well (as can be expected). The 96 home market enfields had metric bearing in them, even though all the nuts are Whitworth, and the extended shaft was metric, if perhaps a little generous in girth.

gilburton

Post by gilburton » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:25 am

Next time stick the shaft in the freezer and the bearing(if not sealed type) in the oven for a couple of hours.
It will then drop on :wink:

Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:13 pm